Last update: 03/17/2010. ( marks new or recently updated references)
These are mainly paper that introduce RMC and EPF and explain the main concepts. Get started here if you have not seen anything about these tools or want to refresh your knowledge.
- “Introducing IBM Rational Method Composer“, Per Kroll, Nov. 2005.
- “IBM Rational Method Composer: Part 1: Key concepts“, Peter Haumer, IBM developerWorks, Dec. 2005.
- “IBM Rational Method Composer: Part 2: Authoring method content and processes“, Peter Haumer, IBM developerWorks, Jan. 2006.
- “Overview to IBM Practices“, IBM developerWorks, Nov. 2008.
- “Rational Method composer 7.5: New and Noteworthy“, The Process Practice, Oct. 2008.
- “What’s new in Rational Method Composer Version 188.8.131.52“, IBM developerWorks, Oct. 2009.
- “A roadmap to method development“, Cecile Peraire, IBM developerWorks, Feb, 2007.
- “An Introduction to the Eclipse Process Framework“, EPF Project.
These provide step-by-step instructions for achieving specific goals with the tools. They are listed in the order in which you could sequentially walk through these to learn RMC or EPF. Also do not forget to review the tutorials in the RMC and EPFC online help.
- “How to jumpstart your process development effort using IBM Rational Method Composer“, Jeff Smith and Dan Popescu, IBM developerWorks, Jul. 2006.
- “Customization scenarios with EPF Composer and OpenUP“, EPF Project.
- “Method content authoring: Creating a customized work product with IBM Rational Method Composer“, Jean-Louis Maréchaux, IBM developerWorks, Nov. 2006.
- “Example Practices Customization – Company ABC“, IBM Rational Method Composer team, IBM.com, October, 2009.
- “Using BIRT reports with IBM Rational Method Composer: Getting started“, Tushara Gangavaram, IBM developerWorks, Feb 2008.
- “Using BIRT reports with IBM Rational Method Composer: An intermediate-level example of creating BIRT reports“, Tushara Gangavaram, IBM developerWorks, Feb 2008.
- “Creating feedback forms with Rational Method Composer“, Andrew Mirsky, IBM developerWorks, May 2006.
- “Customizing Publication Skins in IBM Rational Method Composer“, Tushara Gangavaram and Peter Haumer, IBM developerWorks, Jul 2008.
- “How to document your team’s processes for IBM Rational Team Concert using IBM Rational Method Composer“, Peter Haumer, IBM developerWorks, Oct 2008.
- “Setting up MS Project for RMC processes“, Peter Haumer, The Process Practice, Feb 2009.
Demos and Webcasts
Don’t like to read? Then these might suit you better as these are all recorded videos and presentations.
- “Get started with Rational Method Composer”, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Edward Tuggle, IBM developerWorks, Mar. 2008.
- “Getting started with using IBM® Rational® Method Composer 7.5 with IBM® Rational® ClearCase 7“, Peter Haumer, The Process Practice, Dec. 2008.
- “EPF Composer Overview“, Peter Haumer, EPF Project.
- “Method Content Authoring with EPF Composer“, Peter Haumer, EPF Project.
- “Webcast: Driving business success with Rational Process library“, Per Kroll, IBM.
- “Webcast: Achieving true agility — How process can change the behavior of your tools“, Per Kroll and Peter Haumer, IBM.
- General tutorials for BIRT report design: Introduction to BIRT, Part 1, Part 2; Advanced Charting in BIRT.
A couple of instructor-lead and web-based training classes IBM offers.
- Basic Method Authoring with IBM Rational Method Composer V7.2
- Essentials of the Rational Unified Process (ilt)
- Principles of IBM Rational Unified Process (wbt)
- Rational Unified Process and Iterative Development Boot Camp
- Agile practices enactment with Rational Team Concert and Rational Method Composer, Ricardo Balduino, jazz.net, Feb. 2010.
- Introducing IBM Rational Self Check for Software Teams, Per Kroll, William Krebs, IBM developerWorks, Jun. 2008.
- Architecting IBM Global and Local Business Processes, Cecile Peraire, IBM developerWorks, Jul. 2008.
- How to use and customize Process Advisor
- Discussion about frequently asked question about RMC licensing, discussion thread, RMC Forum, IBM developerWorks.
You find more references and material here.
- Public RMC Online Help infocenter, IBM.
- RMC and RUP method plugins for download, IBM.
- RMC homepage at IBM developerWorks, IBM.
- Rational Method Composer eKit, IBM.
- IBM Measured Capability Improvement Framework (MCIF) portal, IBM.
- Eclipse Process Framework homepage.
Method Content and Processes
A growing list of content managed with RMC and EPFC.
- Rational Process Library, IBM, includes IBM Rational Unified Process.
- Method Authoring Method, IBM and Eclipse Process Framework, go to this post for details.
- IBM Tivoli Unified Process, IBM, IT service management process based on ITIL.
- OpenUP, EPF Project, Browse online, Download, a lean Unified Process variant available as open source.
- Srum at EPF, EPF Project, Browse online, Download.
- eXtreme Programing at EPF, EPF Project, Browse online, Download.
- DSDM method plug-in for OpenUP, EPF.
Third Party Resources
More applications and content around RMC and EPF from third-parties around the Web.
- “IBM Rational Partner method plug-ins“, IBM, scroll down to “Process Plug-ins” section for links to partner offerings.
- “An enterprise process framework defined and delivered with IBM Rational Method Composer“, Barry Snyder, Noblestar, IBM developerWorks, Feb. 2007.
- “Making ITIL actionable with Rational Method Composer“, Corby James, Noblestar, IBM developerWorks, Dec, 2005.
- “TOGAF 2007 (8.1.1), EPF Composer/RMC method plug-in“, Armstrong Process Group.
- “Agile Enterprise Architecture“, method plug-in for EPF Composer.
- Hermes PowerUser Release 2, free Hermes content and EPF Composer extensions for running projects.