How-to migrate to RMC 7.2 with just a CCRC client
RMC 7.2 (and EPF Composer 1.2) introduce some changes to the file format. Therefore, when you try opening your existing method library in 7.2 for the first time RMC will prompt you to migrate the library into this new format. When doing this RMC needs to update all XMI files with new schema information. Hence, if you are managing your library with Rational ClearCase you need to check-out all these files beforehand to make them writable for RMC. Unfortunately, if you use the CCRC (Rational ClearCase Remote Client) integration, this tool does not support to check-out files from multiple directories based on a name pattern. It’s Search dialog only searches for check-out, private, or hijacked files. It’s browser only supports displaying one directory at a time and selecting all these files for check-out. An RMC method library however consists of several directories and all XMI files in all of these directories need to be checked-out. So, what to do?
In the release and install notes to RMC 7.2 we consequently recommend to work with a ClearCase administrator that would use other tools such as the ClearCase cleartool or the Windows shell integration to search for all *.xmi files and perform the check-out. However, if your administrator is busy or nor available here a small procedure for using Eclipse Search and CCRC to get the files checked-out for migration.
- Before migrating, start your old version of RMC such as RMC 7.1.1 and open your library.
(You could also use any other Eclipse shell that you have on your machine that has CCRC installed as well as RMC 7.2. To do this you have to follow the Steps a) to f) described below before moving on to Step 2.)
- In the menu select Search -> File…
- In “file name patterns” field type: *.xmi and click Search
- The Search results view will appear and show the files. If the results are presented with folders use the small triangle button menu in the top right-hand corner of the Search results view to switch to “Show as List”
- Select one entry and press CTRL-A to select them all (or use the Shift/CTRL keys to select a range of files)
- Right-click and select Team -> Check Out
Once all the files are checked-out you can go and start RMC 7.2 as well as load the library for migration. Then you can use the CCRC client’s Search for checked-out files to check them in all at once.
Loading the library into Eclipse or RMC 7.2 (without migrating it):
- Select in the menu Window -> Show View… -> Other and then select General -> Navigator in the dialog
- If there is any other folder in the Navigator view other than Estimation such as another library then right-click these folders and select Close Project from the context menu. Finally, do the same with Estimation: right-click, Close Project
- Right-click in the Navigator view and select Import… and then in the dialog General -> Existing Projects into Workspace
- Click Next and select the Browse button
- Select the directory of your pre-migration library in your CCRC view on your hard disk.
- Important: Make sure that the “Copy into Workspace” check box is not selected. Click Finish. Continue with Step 2 above.